Friday, June 14, 2013

Packing the Suitcase Once More

When I told friends and family of our upcoming adventure, some asked for me to fire-up the travel blog, as I did in my two prior extended trips. Being very prone to anything resembling flattery, I believed them and will document a much more brief sojourn over the next four weeks.
To catch up where I left off from our last travels, Fayne and I had just returned from New Zealand via Easter Island and Ecuador in September, 2012.  We needed a nice long stretch to unpack, relax, get reacquainted with our house, Saturday (our cat), and our community. I have been working every other week in the hospital in Fort Bragg, CA. Our new grandson Isaiah Carter Heard arrived January 7th, 2013.
Isaiah Cater Heard with King Babar
We were able to be there in Phoenix for his birth, and have been able to spend time with his enthusiastic big sister Kimarra and his mother Sofia (our daughter). His dad Marquise has been away lately getting Air Force specialty training in Midland, TX. We recently took the ferry to see the A's vs. Giants.
On the ferry to the ballgame
Kimarra & Papou with 2 championship trophies
We also had time for sister Cheryl's Birthday picnic.
Cheryl's Birthday, Mill Valley
Cousins enjoying cake













May 17th is a birthday shared by Cheryl and brother-in-law Cory. We celebrated at a later date with dinner
and performance of the Icelandic chanteuse Björk, as she was performing in the neighborhood of our condo at Marina Bay, Richmond. I am not familiar with her music, mostly from the swan gown at the 2001 Oscars and fast-forwarding the movie through "Dancer in the Dark" because I couldn't wait for it to end. But the concert was a lot of fun. Her fans share her unique fashion sense and the music was impressive: cosmic, ethereal, featuring a choir of 20 young Icelandic women, a harp, keyboardist, percussionist, and computer person. Glad I went.

Bjork in Richmond, CA
Just before leaving, my sisters and I were invited to The Redwoods in Mill Valley, where my mother spent her last decade. To honor her and especially her love of their scholarship program, they were giving a scholarship in her name. The worthy recipient was Jessica Arango of San Marin High School. Billie Hope would have been so proud!
Me, Jessica, Athena, Cheryl, & Margaret

This up-coming trip evolved thusly:
  1. Last fall we were thinking about another cruise this year. We were both interested in the Baltic to Saint Petersburg.
    The Eurodam Cruise Itinerary
  2. While visiting our old friend Tom Blum in Connecticut (we three met at Berkeley in 1973), we mentioned this, and he and his wife expressed interest.
  3. Our Irish friend from New Zealand, Dr. Florence O'Connell happened to be planning a trip home for a wedding.
So it all fell into place: Ireland to Scandinavia to cruise the Baltic. As an added bonus, our neighbors Christine Samas and Doug Nunn arrive in Copenhagen a day before we come home. Quelle coincidence!

I enjoy travel threefold; the preparation, the doing, and the recollecting. There is already a great deal I have learned getting ready to go. Although you may have a vague concept of the hardship Ireland has suffered (much from England, some self-inflicted) it is overwhelming when you read more about it. Despite my wife's disdain for my efforts, I am trying to pick up a few Irish words and phrases, although I find the spelling quite confusing (how is Méabh pronounced Mave?)
I have also discovered some Irish music of which I was previously ignorant, such as:

Rory Gallagher , a truly great rock/blues guitarist I am embarrassed I knew nothing about;
The Pogues, (which is short for Pogue Mahone—pogue mahone being the Anglicisation of the Irish póg mo thóin, meaning "kiss my arse") recorded the best Christmas song I never heard,  "Fairytale of New York";
and Stiff Little Fingers, a pioneer Punk Band from Belfast.

That is the outline. I look forward to many more discoveries. Next stop: Ireland via Copenhagen.







No comments:

Post a Comment